Thread: Which BB tool?
View Single Post
Old 01-15-24, 03:09 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6269 Post(s)
Liked 4,291 Times in 2,405 Posts
Originally Posted by RubeRad
Am I doing my math wrong? For the drive side, the handle would have to be at 3:00 to push down and remove righty-loosie, no? And 9:00 push down for leftie-tighty
D’oh! I don’t depend on clock faces for just this reason. What I really tell them is to put the wrench on each side towards the front of the bike and to push down. Works for both sides.

I’ve tried explaining the right and left hand screw rule, “left is right and right is wrong”, clock faces, etc and the above method seems easiest to grasp.

Pedals are equally difficult to explain how to remove, especially in light of the fact that it’s the opposite of the bottom bracket…i.e. “right is right and left is wrong”. Again, I find it easier to face the pedal toward the front of the bike and to push down on the pedal wrench that is pointing towards you. No clocks, no “righty/tighty except when it is lefty/tighty”. It’s easy to grasp.

Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute: