View Single Post
Old 01-15-24, 04:08 PM
dschad

Bikes: 1986 Schwinn Voyageur, SWB home-built recumbent and a couple other uninteresting ones.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 26 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
Induction heating is a neat topic. I've watched it done in large scale factory vids and it's pretty amazing how quickly the steel heats to a bright orange. Your induction forge reminds me of reading of hearth brazing with a plug of filler inserted into the joint first. I'm grateful that the wife enjoys watching "Forged in Fire" and tolerated noise and smells from the basement. Andy
I am consistently amazed at how they can pack so much magic into those machines! As an industrial process, it is really great. Very efficient. If you have a good coil fit, the heat is nearly instantaneous and highly controllable. I don't think I haven't actually brazed with it, only unbrazing, but it seems like you could do lugs pretty well.

Originally Posted by bulgie
Are other episodes less annoying, i.e. should I give it a second try?
You wouldn't have time if you'd get an anvil...

The few times I've seen it, I was ranting at the TV. I'm a bit biased, but I don't think there is enough interesting forging, and they do a disservice to the science. Lots of good forging on YouTube to help understand the processes.

Back to the Zen of filing brass fillets...