Thread: USA trip 2025
View Single Post
Old 01-17-24, 10:52 AM
mev
bicycle tourist

Bikes: Trek 520, Lightfoot Ranger, Trek 4500

Liked 269 Times in 182 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
We took NY 5 up through Dunkirk and into Buffalo way back in `1999. It was fine.
I took NY 5 from Buffalo through NY and then PA 5 to Ohio in 2024 and all was fine as well. It was a mix of one-land and two lane. Sometimes on the two lane the shoulder wasn't big - but traffic was fine in those places, e.g.

As soon as I crossed into Ohio any sense of shoulders disappeared and my frustration with roads in north-east Ohio started...

My impression of Stark County Ohio (e.g. Canton) area was some of the rudest most obnoxious drivers and interestingly enough also an active bicycle club (http://www.bikescbc.com/). There seemed to be a bunch of club rides but ones I saw stayed away from mid-sized roads and went out on more rural roads in the countryside. Hence I learned this is an area to avoid mid-sized roads on the map and instead look for local knowledge and routes from those club rides.

Once I got to the OTET and then parts of west-Central Ohio e.g Dayton area, my attitude towards Ohio improved but first impressions of north-east Ohio were worse than any of the other 27 states I cycled this summer.
Likes For mev: