Old 01-17-24, 06:58 PM
Duragrouch
Durable Senior Member

Liked 882 Times in 706 Posts
Originally Posted by tds101
The Origami Bull only has one chainring, so there's no issue with it. It's also 9 speed, which is more than enough for a mid drive modification. Should turn out good for my prospective usage.

PS: you're confusing me with the OP. I don't own the Liberte. It's a great bike, but not in my stable. 😁
Oh I knew you don't have a Liberte. I was just commenting in general about value.

Yes, most electrics get by with limited gearing. Just me personally, but I always want a full gear range for manual pedaling for exercise, and if the electric system goes dead, especially if touring. For me, full range means, not as much as a dedicated touring or mountain bike, I'm sacrificing top end to have a decent low end, close to 20 gear inches. I'll never win a race on it, but 85 gear inches is enough top end for me at this stage in life. 1X gearing definitely has advantages, but 20" wheels limit the size of pieplate-low in back (although I think they may have rear derailleurs now that pivot between the two pulley wheels, to improve ground clearance). But a 9-36 might work; I have not yet investigated if that requires a different freewheel body versus an 11 high. I'm not concerned about cog wear on the 9, as high gear is used infrequently, and not when climbing, which is when I think most cog and chain wear occurs.
Likes For Duragrouch: