View Single Post
Old 01-19-24, 03:24 PM
Redbullet

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 388 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 49 Posts
Originally Posted by pdlamb
That said, perhaps "predatory" would be a better descriptor, with the seller (Canyon in this case) taking advantage of a poorly informed or uninformed purchaser. I mean, really, who goes into a bike shop and asks, "How much will it cost to replace a derailer hanger, or a stem, or bars, or a bottom bracket, three years after the sale?"
I can't agree that. First, let's forget a minute about Canyon, because this is a practice that other well known producers apply as well. I can not even say that Canyon was the first to apply it.
When you buy a common car (not Bugatti or similar), you simply presume that you ca maintain and repair it close to you at a reasonable price, and it is always true. There are "after market" parts and services available at high quality and reasonable price and even the brand parts are still in your arm length, if you agree to pay a little premium.
But being obliged to send a bike to the producer for a simple repair and change of parts, then bear the exorbitant price of such action and service is not a fair commercial practice.