Old 01-20-24, 03:15 PM
momoman

Bikes: 2013 Wilier Gran Turismo, 1983 Trek 760, 80's Colnago Super, 90's De Rosa SLX, 2009 Waterford 22 Series Singlespeed, 85 Medici Pro Strada, De Rosa Alumino frameset, Dave Molten Fuso frameset, 70's beater Peugeot PX10, Zizzo Liberte, 2022 Yoeleo R12

Liked 201 Times in 92 Posts
Originally Posted by Duragrouch
momoman,

Congrats on the mods. Just be aware, 1-1/8" tires, and most especially on deep section rims and 20" diameter with tremendous hoop stiffness and strength, mean there is very little radial elasticity in that system. Just to prevent pinch-flats on an unexpected pothole, those tires will need to be aired-up. A really big smash may still go past the tires and flatten the rim near the bead, though probably not affect the rim as a whole. There are cases with 700c bikes with deep section aeros where the front wheel ran into something, and the whole fork bent before the wheel did........
The rims on my Litepro Aero wheels are too narrow for what I want but the wheels were under $100 and I didn't want to spend more, plus the selection of 406 tires is limited. To be honest, I got the wheels for the look and not for practicality. I do inflate the tires to 100+ lbs and carry 2-3 Ridenow TPU tubes since 3 tubes take about the same space as a single 20" butyl tube. On my road bikes, i've pretty much progressed from 23mm to 25, then 28mm or 32mm. When I rode to the Golden Gate bridge the final few hundred feet was on gravel, as shown in my picture. The narrow road tires made it but I had to concentrate to keep the bike from sliding. I'm glad the gravel was dry. My slick tires would not have made it safely if the ground was wet. I think I will ride the aero wheels on known local streets and bike trails, but go with the stock wheels and tires when I carry the bike out of town and ride on unfamiliar roads, or get caught on wet grounds.
Likes For momoman: