View Single Post
Old 01-27-24, 02:41 AM
Duragrouch

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 976 Post(s)
Liked 527 Times in 422 Posts
Very relevant quote from Bikepacking.com review of Bike Friday All-Packa (20" wheels but swinging rear triangle folding):
The All-Packa comes in a 1x or 2x version. The 2x option is a reflection of the fact that the bike won’t accommodate the very large cassette ranges that are common nowadays on 1x drivetrains. That’s because the derailleur cage has to be relatively short to not put it completely in jeopardy. The biggest cassette gear will therefore be a 40. The one they sent me has a 42 chainring, yielding a combo that I found reasonable for loaded trips, but that for many won’t cut it going up the steepest pitches. On the other end, the 11-tooth small gear met my ambitions for going fast enough on the flats and downhills, but I could imagine some people finding it limiting. Clearly, that would get worse with a smaller chainring. A 2x therefore makes good sense. I can report, too, that having a front derailleur on one of my other Bike Fridays makes chain management when folded a little easier since the derailleur keeps the chain somewhat scooped up.
So 50/34 x 11-40, with 20"x1.75", gives a gear inch range of 15.9 - 84.9, that's yummy. (The All-Packa comes with 2.4" tires, so gearing will be a bit higher. Sheldon Brown gear calc did not have a tire option over 20"x1.75".)

Last edited by Duragrouch; 01-27-24 at 02:54 AM.