Old 01-28-24, 12:20 PM
oldbobcat

Bikes: '80 Masi Gran Criterium, '12 Trek Madone, early '60s Frejus track

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 531 Post(s)
Liked 477 Times in 359 Posts
Originally Posted by Redbullet

I can see that you're getting plenty of chain wrap, but any way you cut it, the jockey pulley is way too far forward of the axle to get close enough to the cogs for crisp shifting. I think this might be due to the shape of the hanger. Normally, on a triple I'd discount using the small ring with the fast end of the cassette (the smallest 2 or 3 cogs), but the positioning is still too far forward on the largest cog. That would suggest that the chain is too long. But your big-big photo shows the chain pretty much at its limit. Shimano specs the unit for a 20-tooth spread on triple chainrings, but we can see this pushes it close to the limit.

I've worked with 4700 plenty of times and never had issues with it. In fact, that's what's on the Trek Emonda 3 that I bought my daughter a few years ago. But that was with double chainrings.

As a penultimate to the last resort measure I'd take the derailleur to a shop and ask if there is anything wrong with it. As a last resort, I'd try removing one more link-pair from your chain. I believe it will still be long enough. You can test before cutting by folding over a pair of links on the slack side. I used to be doubtful, having cut my chains slightly loose for years, until I tried shortening one for some reason that I can't remember. It was on my own SRAM Force 10-speed. And presto, the rear shifts were noticeably crisper because the jockey pulley was was in better line with the cogs.