View Single Post
Old 01-28-24, 03:44 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7717 Post(s)
Liked 3,651 Times in 1,922 Posts
Originally Posted by zacster
We've all been debating endlessly about frame type, whether carbon, aluminum, steel, titanium, stiffness, configurations, and how efficient they are. So I thought of an experiment that could be done to answer some of these questions for once and for all, with equipment that has become commonly available.
I normally do not respond before reading all the posts but .... meh. Ignore me at will.

We had not "all" been debating any of that. People with much sense and particularly engineers know that most of the "debates" are just rants by people who champion their personal preferences. I am not an engineer but common sense is actually pretty easy.

No one is legitimately asking what frame Material is "more efficient" because shapes mater more than materials. This is widely known. if you are talking rigidity versus weight, CF is always going to win, because it can be shaped freely and is lighter for a given load-bearing capacity .... in terms of stength for weight CF is not going to be beat today. But .....

What do you mean by "efficiency"? if you bolt a drive train to a solid steel plate four inches thick, you won't get much flexing a t human-generated power levels.

What do you mean by "configurations"? Tadpole trikes versus two-wheel recumbents?

No one can answer any questions once and for all until you ask the right questions.

If you could clarify Exactly what it is you want to know, experiments can be devised to test those things.

if you just want to know how much a given frame deflects at a given load compared to another frame, ask that. if you want "proof" that there is a heirarchy of frame materials ... don't bother asking please.

If you define your terms and focus your questions people can probably provide answers.