Old 01-29-24, 10:49 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3507 Post(s)
Liked 1,491 Times in 1,164 Posts
Anything that dries out fast is best. In other words, anything synthetic or wool, but not cheap cotton.

And depending on how your shoes fit, you want ones that are the right thickness so shoes are comfortable but not too loose.

Most of my bike trips are in cooler weather and often in wet weather, so I bring some hiking shoes to wear in the campsite. And need socks that have the right thickness to fit in those well too.

But on trips where weather is hotter, I bring sandals for campsite wear instead, sometimes wear those with socks and sometimes not, those adjust better to size variation. And sandals with no socks will remind you the hard way later that you forgot to sunscreen your feet.

On the rando forum, there recently was a thread on feet changing size during a long bike ride. If you also have had that problem, that becomes pertinent to sock thickness and shoe fit.
https://www.bikeforums.net/long-dist...long-ride.html

On a tour, I typically bring three or four pair of socks counting the pair I am wearing. Just in case a pair or two are wet in cold weather, I like to have a dry pair as a contingency plan for campsite use. My touring partner on Pacific Coast only had one pair of shoes, and all his socks got wet. He was having skin problems from wet feet and we had to sit in a campsite for a day so he could try to heal his feet.