View Single Post
Old 01-30-24, 08:50 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Liked 2,159 Times in 1,328 Posts
Originally Posted by nathand
I don't share the dislike for Gatorskins. I used to commute 30-40 miles to work, at least three mornings per week (took the train home, though). I dealt with frequent flats on other road tires until I switched to Gatorskins, and I don't remember feeling a change in ride quality - although at 90psi any tire is pretty firm. I did destroy a Gatorskin running over a piece of wire (tread from a big-rig tire I think) but no road tire would have survived that.
I also don't have problems with Gatorskins (except one, noted later), though my flat experience is less salutary. 1/3-1/2 of my riding is commuting on 32s, pumped up to 80-90 psi. I'll usually ride until the tires are squared off and a bit beyond, until I have a couple flats in a week. That usually indicates the tread is worn out, sometimes to the point I can see threads or a softer layer of rubber underneath (depending on tire). I'd guess I average one or two flats per tire before that happens, usually glass or wires. Flats are dominated by urban riding IME; it's pretty rare I have a flat in the country on weekends.

The ride is similar to most everything else I've tried, and dominated by how bad the roads are. (I re-routed for a couple years for a half mile of freshly repaved street -- heaven!) They're slightly harsher than Panaracer Pasela or Gravelkings, and feel about the same to my butt as Conti Grand Prix whatevers.

Gatorskins are a little better for tread life IME than the Panaracers or Grand Prix, but the difference is minor. They're not in the same ballpark as a Schwalbe Marathon or Specialized Armadillo, but those are noticeably harsher riding and heavy enough I notice the difference.

My one complaint is that the last couple orders of Gatorskins the "gator" mesh has detached from the tire. As far as I can tell it's decorative, not structural, as I've cut it off with scissors and the tire keeps on going. But it's startling and annoying when it starts to detach and you can hear the loose part brushing the fork or stays while riding.