View Single Post
Old 01-30-24, 03:14 PM
rickpaulos

Liked 164 Times in 95 Posts
Originally Posted by H2Rick
A Greenvile Schwinn ?? Wow, that's a pretty rare bird. I wonder what the total production volume was from that plant. Anyone ??
Not so rare. I've owned several Greenville Schwinns. Schwinn made the mid range road bikes there in the mid to later 1980s. Circuit, Le Tour, Passage, Prelude, Premis, Super Sport, Tempo, Traveler, Voyageur, and quite a few more. Generally nice riding bikes. If you see a Columbus Tenax decal or a TruTemper decal on a Schwinn, it was probably made in Greenville. If you look inside the bb shell, you will see they had some sloppy mitering. During the same time, Schwinn was getting the World, World Tourist and World Sports from Giant Bikes of Taiwan as their entry level road bikes.

As far as production numbers from Schwinn, fat chance. The only publicized numbers for any model I've ever seen were for the Cycle Truck. They did brag about reaching 1,000,000 bikes per year the first time that happened but that was company wide. And just after that is when they started buying imports to sell so that fogs the numbers of sales vs actual in house production. AFAIK numbers for specific models or factories were never released.