Old 01-31-24, 09:00 AM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2748 Post(s)
Liked 979 Times in 801 Posts
hi there M. Gauvins,
Over the years, I've noticed a difference using these double layer socks, I 'll have to go fish them out of my drawer to find the brand, but on long days, even hot days, I find that my feet are less sensitive, more comfortable after a days ride, than with single layer, thinner socks.
Even on really hot days, they help a lot with not having any "hot spots" on my feet.

Wrightsock is the brand---edit-- they do come in different ankle lengths. The ones I love for hot weather go just above the ankle.

I've been buying these socks for a bunch of years and they really are my favorite. I too wash my socks by hand quickly each day along with my padded shorts and shirt, and these socks dry as well as any other socks I use, so not a problem.

For drying out my things, I have gotten very good at getting the most water out of them post wash, letting them hang a bit for remaining water to go to bottom of item, then a final squeeze--then using my towel to roll the items in and step on to really get the most water out.
Followed by carefully choosing where to hang them to dry, moving air, sun, any heat source (lamps, back of fridges, whatever) and avoiding dew (so not leaving them out overnight) -- all this makes a big difference in how well things dry for the next day. Worst case, they sit out on the back of the bike the next day while I ride to finish drying.

For cooler riding, the pretty standard wool socks , generally hiking ones with the thicker heel and toe area, work really well and are a bit more comfortable due to the extra cushion.
And of course, being wool means less smelly and with a good airing out, can be worn a number of days, especially in cooler weather.

there really are a million offerings of socks, but my Wrightsock double layer ankle ones have been my favs for years and years and years. I really notice the difference.
* the idea with two layers is to reduce friction against your skin, its an old hiking trick, a really thin sock under another pair.

oh, and of course, socks are just part of the issue, how well a shoe fits your feet, how a shoe breathes, is of course part of the solution to foot comfort, so no sock will cure a pressure point or whatever that is caused by a specific shoe interacting with your specific feet.

I tried so many bike shoes on over the years, finally found that higher end Specialized mountain bike shoes fit my feet the best, so have stuck with the same model over the last probably 15, 20 years. They change a bit, but fit me better than other brands. Not worth wasting money on shoes that dont fit your feet really well if you ride a lot, thats my take on it anyway.

Last edited by djb; 01-31-24 at 09:06 AM. Reason: added about just above ankle length
Likes For djb: