View Single Post
Old 02-01-24, 11:59 AM
Schreck83 

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 171 Posts
Welcome to BF from another WNYer!

The C&V market here is weak but bargains on better quality bikes do appear and are usually scooped up before too long. I live outside of Buffalo but I find better quality bikes offered in the Rochester area, which may be a function the affluence of the folks that bought these bikes when they were new. Rochester has/had Kodak, Bausch & Lomb, Xerox whereas Ford, Chevy and Bethlehem Steel were major employers in Buffalo. Many of those C&V bikes are now being sold by the spouses, sons or daughters of the original rider and values range from optimistic to " I just want to get rid of it".

Since asking price is no guide to value, you need to learn to spot a quality bike. Then, simply showing up puts you in a better position to offer less than the asking price because few people will actually show up.

If you are not familiar with it, R Community Bikes repairs and provides bikes to needy riders in Rochester. One of the ways they fund their operation is by offering the higher quality donations for sale through CL and FB. These bikes have been serviced sufficiently to be rideable and are generally in the $120 - $175 range. Good value and a good cause!

Likes For Schreck83: