View Single Post
Old 02-02-24, 06:58 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3345 Post(s)
Liked 2,187 Times in 1,241 Posts
Originally Posted by AMoney
It was informative to read about people's experiences with Di2, particularly in regards to if the derailleur hanger is bent.

I was also wondering, what are people's thoughts on wired vs semi-wireless Di2? My understanding is that semi-wireless Di2 is only an option in the disc brake versions of the 12 speed group sets. For people who have used both, what are your experiences? Are the wires a frequent cause of maintenance for Di2 users?
I have a fully wired road Di2 and a mt bike wired Di2 as well as a wireless AXS on a 2nd mt bike. Once you get the wires and any neccessary junction boxes laid in on Di2 it’s completely forget it’s there time. If doing your own install of a wired Di2 system, you have to deal with getting off the crank and b-bracket in order to get the cables installed. If you have a BSA bottom bracket and have the tools, it’s easy. Then you leave it alone, it needs no further maintenance, probably ever. If you perhaps snag a cable on a derailer, as example, then of course you have to fix that. The AXS system I installed was as easy as breaking the chain, remove old mechanical derailer and shift cable, remove F shifter. Install R derailer, install chain, install F derailer and pair it up electronically. It took about as much time to type this as to install AXS. You potentially have to charge up the AXS derailer batteries more often then a Di2, but it’s an easy removal and charging process, It’s a good move on Shimano’s part to make the shifters wireless on the new 12 spd systems. But if getting a new bike that has Di2, you probably my only change out the battery in 6 years or so, otherwise there’s nothing to do except ride the bike. I have read that having a larger and more powerful battery on Di2 provides for a better and faster shift on the derailer. In operation and comparing a mt bike Di2, vs. a SRAM AXS system, they are pretty much identical in terms of accuracy and reliability, IME. They both shift perfectly.

Last edited by Steve B.; 02-02-24 at 07:02 PM.