View Single Post
Old 02-05-24, 07:07 PM
iab

Mentioned: 201 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3026 Post(s)
Liked 3,903 Times in 1,426 Posts
1939~ Paglianti

Some of you may be familiar with this thread, https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...-dropouts.html . And after swearing off ever restoring another bike, I am complete with this one.

All pics here - https://www.flickr.com/photos/681231...th/53511628856

As I wrote in the original thread, I saw the dropout on FB marketplace and did not hesitate. To the best of my knowledge, it is a second generation Campagnolo made from 1934-1939. I restored this particular bike to a 1939 model due to the extreme difficulty, and expense, of finding all the bits and bobs for an earlier version. There is evidence this frame was built prior to 1939. First is the front dropout and front hubshell barrel are for an 8mm solid axle. Neither will fit a 9mm QR axle. I have seen evidence of this practice in 1936 in Italy. Also, at sometime the rear hub was converted to a solid axle, making the derailleur obsolete. That solid axle had cones stamped FB 35 indicating made in 1935. When all this happened is anyone's guess, but I like telling a full story.

Nickel-plated frame. I recreated the decal artwork from a number of sources and had varnish-slide decals made. The cambio corsa derailleur is a second generation, 5th version. I estimate its production as 1938-1940. Stem and bars are Ambrosio, date stamped 1939. The calipers and levers are Universal Model 39s with prewar cable clamps. The hubs and crank are FB, stamped Paglianti. The chainring is featured in the 1933 Doniselli catalog. The pedals are reproduction (I am fairly certain they are not original, but proper for prewar road pedals) Sheffield Super. If you have original Sheffield Super, I'll buy them. Fully domed seatpost (you will have to take my word) and a Super-Rosa Calolziocorte saddle.

I haven't gone for a ride yet, roads still have plenty of salt on them.

Paglianti 01 by iabisdb, on Flickr

Paglianti 04 by iabisdb, on Flickr

Paglianti 08 by iabisdb, on Flickr

Paglianti 19 by iabisdb, on Flickr

Paglianti 37 by iabisdb, on Flickr