Old 02-05-24, 11:55 PM
Duragrouch

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 552 Times in 443 Posts
Originally Posted by univega.duder
I'm finding it a bit challenging to pinpoint exactly what's not clicking for me visually with the Zizzo bike. I think it boils down to a few factors: the thick aluminum tubing, prominent welds, lower-quality components, and an abundance of graphics that collectively give it a somewhat clunky appearance. For example, the inclusion of the website address on the chainstay feels unnecessary and detracts from the overall aesthetic. While I understand that aluminum bikes often feature larger tubes and noticeable welds, upgrading some components or design elements could potentially elevate the bike's overall look. Despite these critiques, I do appreciate Zizzo's practicality and affordability, particularly with features like fenders, a rear rack, and a kickstand included.

In contrast, as I explore other folding bike options that appeal to me, I've noticed a common thread: they tend to incorporate curved elements in their frames, stems, or handlebars. Take, for instance, the Birch bike—it doesn't necessarily have traditional curves, but the distinctive triangular shape at the rear, mirrored in the front rack, adds an intriguing visual dimension. While it might seem like nitpicking, I value these subtle design touches or unique flourishes beyond mere utility, even if it's just a thoughtfully chosen paint color. That being said, my primary goal is to derive enjoyment from the riding experience, rather than solely focusing on aesthetics. Therefore, the fit of the bike, or any potential lack thereof, should take precedence. In the grand scheme of things, I'm seeking a durable folding bike or mini velo priced under $500, that's easy on they eyes and doesn't require me to be overly precious with it.
The "thick" tubing is a function of it being a "monobeam" frame, that is necessary for only a single tube, for both bending and torsional strength (resistance to twisting while standing on the pedals) "Diamond" frames have two tubes there that are smaller, but it's harder to execute a frame fold with two tubes, it can be done, but it's more complex, those usually have instead a swinging rear triangle fold, such as a Bike Friday All-Packa.

"Large" welds are typical for an aluminum frame, they require a larger weld bead for strength of the joint. If you find a smaller weld more elegant, you'll find this on steel frame bikes. My relatively inexpensive (for 15 years ago) Dahon Speed has a chrome-moly steel frame with really lovely small but precise welds. (Chrome-moly is a step above "high-ten(sile)" steel.) Titanium frames, notably, I've typically noticed exceptional and minimalist welds.

The components I saw on the Zizzo Liberte, I was impressed with, for one thing, it had a "hollowtech II style" crankset with external bottom bracket bearings, that is a step above what Dahon has done. (Most Dahons had a crank with a steel chainring permanently swaged to an aluminum arm, heavy, not able to replace the chainring, and internal bottom bracket bearings which are less durable.) Also the wheel rims look better quality, double-wall instead of single wall. And yet, Dahon's prices skyrocketed during the pandemic, to where the Zizzo is 1/2 to 1/3 (if on sale), the price of an equivalent Dahon Mariner.

The decals can be peeled off, IF, they are not underneath a clear lacquer finish, I don't know. (I have a "Pelican style" case that I bought cheap at Harbor Freight, and those cases are very prominently brand-labeled "Apache", which I feel is politically incorrect, so I peeled the large labels off and reapplied them inside the lid, under the inner foam padding, in case I need warranty replacement at the store.)
Likes For Duragrouch: