MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10223 Post(s)
Liked 5,947 Times in 3,204 Posts
Originally Posted by Jughed
What is the difference between your cycling VO2 max and overall VO2? I see both buttons on the app you showed...

My issue with the Garmin type calculation - weight plays a big role in the formula, but when cycling we are mainly using our legs. If you are lean and fit, but carry some extra muscle, have a large frame, have a big head - (my head probably weighs a few metric KG's more than the normal person), your VO2 max from cycling power may not really be that accurate in terms of your overall VO2.

The type of extra weight isn't put into the formula. Is the person carrying 20#'s of extra fat, or 20#'s of extra muscle. Are they large framed, are they short legged/long torso type...

Example:
I'm close to 6' 179#/81.5 KG. I'm very lean at this point - large frame, short legs, long torso, a good amount of lean muscle up top, (plus a giant head).
-Using cycling power/weight metrics - 350W @ 6 min = VO2 of 54+/-.

Take the same power figures, but strip off the extra muscle, give the person longer legs/shorter torso, eliminate the giant head - strip down all non cycling related weight to essentially nothing - that person could have a VO2 of 70++.

Wouldn't person #1's overall VO2 max skew lower in terms of cycling VO2, and person number 2 skew higher? Wouldn't real/overall VO2, with an activity using all of the muscle groups, be similar for both?

Would the person with extra lean muscle/weight get a higher VO2 when rowing?
The short answer is yes: Cycling VO2max should theoretically be lower than running or rowing VO2max, and the more you are weighed down by unused muscle or fat or a giant head, the lower your sport-specific VO2 max/kg will be.
Likes For MoAlpha: