View Single Post
Old 02-07-24, 10:40 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5074 Post(s)
Liked 8,375 Times in 3,954 Posts
Originally Posted by 3alarmer
...try to picture it in your mind. I have my hands somewhere (not the hoods). I want to shift both front and rear derailleurs.
I can drop one hand to the DT shifters, and accomplish my goal in one movement, then go back to blowing a snot rocket with that hand.

Or I can move both hands to the hoods, and accomplish the goal using both brifters. Because I don't usually ride the hoods, except briefly and intermittently.
There is the big difference in why STI makes way more sense for me, and less so for you. On my road bike, I probably spend 90% (or more) of my time on the hoods. That said, I don't do a simultaneous shift often enough to even consider needing both hands on the hoods as an inconvenience. Having shifting and braking available to me instantly is much more important for the way I ride. There are times when I need to shift, but definitely want both hands on the bars. I appreciate that your way works for you.