Old 02-08-24, 10:13 AM
RChung
Perceptual Dullard

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 956 Post(s)
Liked 1,218 Times in 525 Posts
Originally Posted by sir_crash_alot
As for structured training vs. just volume, I've heard both sides. Anecdotal evidence from both sides that argue structure heavy vs. just volume, so I've kinda given up on trying to decide which one is better and simply respond to time and what I can do. Unfortunately my work constraints in the semesters means that I can't just disappear for 4-6 hours for volume. I'll be adding in volume training in the summer when I'm not teaching.
For years I've taught only in the fall semester and did all my other research the rest of the year. During the fall, my hours went way down and you can only do what you can do so I would prop up my training by substituting intensity for volume. I have years of this experiment. My conclusion is that when time-crunched, intensity can substitute for some volume but not all, so each January (like this one) I'm starting at a lower spot than where I was in August. Bottom line, TSS is not a complete field-leveler. There are, however, variations in where my January starts, depending on how much intensity and volume I was able to accumulate during the fall. In severe years, I'd lose 10-15% of my CP over the fall; in better years, I'd lose only 5-10%. My sprint doesn't change much: it kinda sucks year 'round.
Likes For RChung: