View Single Post
Old 02-08-24, 12:58 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5052 Post(s)
Liked 8,320 Times in 3,929 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
Nope, I've heard of that. Never tried it.

The problem with treaded tires is that mud will pack in between the knobs and be very difficult to scrape off. And the problem with fenders is that, if the tires get really caked with mud, they'll jam inside the fenders and simply not turn -- and be a lot harder to scrap off. Though an Ass-Saver is a good idea.

Three tips, one I've already given to the OP: (1) carry a spare derailleur hanger, as muddy conditions can lead to jammed drivetrains and snapped hangers. But assuming no other real damage, a hanger can be replaced in a couple minutes. (2) Depending on the terrain, the mud is sometimes on the road or trail, and can be avoided by going around it -- either riding, or getting off and carrying your bike. It might seem slower, but it's faster than stopping to scrape caked mud off your bike. (3) Might want to use water bottles that have those little caps to protect the spouts, unless you like drinking mud and cow s**t -- the latter can contain nasty stuff that you don't want, like maybe giardia -- which will make the bottom fall out of your world and vice-versa.
Thanks for all your input, Koyote. I typically run a hydro pack with plain water, and bottles with carb mix. I might need to re-think my hydration plan.

I'll let y'all know how the Pam thing works out. I picked up a fresh can at the store last night.

EDIT: The Pirelli M has fairly wide knob spacing, but I have no idea how well it actually sheds mud. The Pirelli H has side knobs, so it might not be any better. I'll take options with me, and talk to the locals the night before. I expect tires to be a hot topic of discussion.

Last edited by Eric F; 02-08-24 at 01:03 PM.
Likes For Eric F: