Old 02-09-24, 04:54 PM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Bikes: Yes, please.

Mentioned: 286 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2220 Post(s)
Liked 4,778 Times in 1,809 Posts
I hadn't planned to buy any bikes last year, and somewhat to my own surprise I managed to stay closer to zero than in many years before. That said ...

One bike I felt obligated to buy was this Billato-built Concorde Prelude. It was a trade-in at my favorite LBS. They have been awfully nice to me over the past fifteen or so years, so when they "save" a bike for me, how can I not buy it? Currently in bits while I search for the few missing 6400 bits. Will go up for sale in spring, as it's too small for me.

This bike came up for sale on a local bike travelers forum. Nobody wanted it. Not at a very reasonable price. Not even at a very low price. Mainly because it, well, doesn't have a Rohloff hub, fenders and 50mm tires. A shame, because Jaap Huissoon was an interesting builder, the tubing is Columbus Max, the parts Campagnolo Daytona. So I stepped in and for the price of a carton of cigarettes I put the seller out of their misery. The original plan was to part it out and resell the frame, but the short ride I did may have changed my mind. This is a nice bike!

The one acquisition I did just because I fell in love with it, was this mid-seventies 'Eddy Merckx' frame. Built under license by Bernard Dangre in Valenciennes, France. A manufacturer mainly known for their 'affordable' products. Not welcome at The Real Eddy Merckx Bikes Appreciation Society meetings.

But, built with Vitus 172 tubing, Huret dropouts, painted in a wonderful seventies purple and in my preferred size, I love it.

Ready for the '24 season:

Likes For non-fixie: