Old 02-11-24, 10:36 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3920 Post(s)
Liked 1,985 Times in 1,415 Posts
78, riding for 71 years. I've had one bicycle accident that was my fault, just lost some jersey and skin. I was descending on a well-paved shoulder and suddenly saw a pedestrian maybe 200' away. I checked my mirror and merged onto the roadway by reflex, not taking into account that there was a section where the concrete roadway was 1" higher than the shoulder, so down I went but no big deal, just lost some fabric and some skin. That's it. I'm maybe the only rider I know who doesn't have bumps on their collar bone - I didn't put a hand out, just stayed with the bike.

I think it helped a lot that I did a lot of road riding as a kid and then a lot of high speed motorcycle riding in Europe while I was in the Army. I spent a lot of time near the limit of adhesion and learned a lot about body position and setting up corners. I also went down the requisite 6 times while studying on this. I still descend fast, pass everyone but don't go down. I think it's kind of a 6th sense of where everything is, where I need to be, and where I need to be cautious. I did go down once in a corner, hit a rock that was in my line, nothing to be done, but no damage other than I needed a new tire, which I had with me of course. It was a right hander and I went off the road on the right side. I once overcooked a decreasing radius right hander on a road I'd not ridden before, but I got lucky, no oncoming. So some of it is just luck, but to some extent we make our own luck and to some extent it's just miles in interesting terrain. I've also skied Alpine a lot and used to train for downhill. I think that helped, too. Speed doesn't scare me, though it is said that it should.