aliasfox

Bikes: Lynskey R270 Disc, Bianchi Vigorelli

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 300 Post(s)
Liked 158 Times in 133 Posts
Carbon Fork Steerer Question

Hi everyone,

There's a bit of play between my centerlock DT240 front hub and my front rotor, and every so often it tricks me into thinking that my headset is loose. I know it shouldn't (I even turn the front wheel sideways to check - nope, no rocking!), but it does. To confirm everything, I disassembled my front end for the first time, cleaned out the grit in there, and put a thin layer of grease on the bearing seats. When I was wiping down the steerer tube, I noticed that the carbon wasn't completely smooth and round, and that there was this 'edge' that shows up, just enough feel with my fingertips, and capture on camera (see photo below).

Am I just looking at the edge of some unfinished carbon, or is this something to be concerned about? It seems perfectly straight and even.

I reassembled the front end, preloaded the headset with my old 6-bolt rotor wheel (no rotational play in that one), and tightened my stem bolts with with my torque wrench (~5nm). This is the only thing that leaves me with a bit of a question.

Thanks everyone!