View Single Post
Old 02-12-24, 12:05 PM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1445 Post(s)
Liked 2,015 Times in 1,145 Posts
Originally Posted by neutrinocounter
@t2p Please tell me where this trail is or its name. I want to ride it. Thanks.
unfortunately this trail is on the orther side of the country from you

this is the 30 mile Panhandle trail - that stretches eastward from the Weirton West Virginia area to Collier Township just southwest of Pittsburgh ; it occupies the former site of a rail line that at one time served areas from Cincinnati to Pittsburgh

the trail is both crushed limestone and paved - and includes a pass through a stone quarry area, dense / wooded areas, and wide open areas … we often jokingly refer to the open areas as the ‘Ponderosa’ …

neat thing about the Panhandle trail is rides can be combined with nearby rolling and winding rural roads - and the trail also connects to the 60 mile Montour trail (suburban trail near Pittsburgh) …

( the trestle shown in the last picture of my previous post is the McDonald trestle which is part of the Montour trail
and passes over the Panhandle trail )

and the Montour trail can connect to the 150 mile GAP trail (Great Allegheny Passage) between Pittsburgh and Cumberland Maryland …

and the GAP can be combined with the 180 mile C&O Canal towpath trail to travel from Cumberland Maryland to Washington DC

Last edited by t2p; 02-12-24 at 12:28 PM.
Likes For t2p: