Old 02-14-24, 06:13 PM
JaccoW
Overdoing projects

Bikes: Batavus Randonneur GL, Gazelle Orange Excellent, Gazelle Super Licht, Gazelle Grand Tourist, Gazelle Lausanne, Gazelle Tandem, Koga-Miyata SilverAce, Koga-Miyata WorldTraveller

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 786 Post(s)
Liked 1,269 Times in 692 Posts
So while I wait for some colourful tyres, I was also thinking about my gearing since I am slowly planning to go touring again this summer.

Currently I am of course running a 48/28T in the front with an 11-speed 11-32 in the back. This gives me a 499% range with a 24.3 - 121 low and high.
The issue that I ran into a couple of years ago in the mountains is that the low gear really isn't low enough for loaded touring for me and I do actually use the 48 x 11 on longer stretches on the flat. That seems to be correct from what I've read online.

This setup requires a 41T derailleur capacity which my Shimano Deore 2x11 derailleur does. (RD-M5120-SGS) though Shimano is known for being conservative with their capacity rating. From what I've seen online is people running these succesfully with 50/34 x 11-40 for a 45T capacity.

So if I want to improve my gear range I have a couple of options.
  1. Get an 11-36 cassette for more climbing abilty without losing top-end for about €60+ (561% range, 45T capacity)
  2. Get both a different set of 46/26T chainrings AND an 11-36 cassette for even better low-end at the expense of high-end for €150+ (579% range, 45T capacity)
  3. 44/26T x 11-40T for off-road touring capability for €160+ (571% range, 45T capacity)
  4. Increase the capacity of the rear derailleur with a Garbaruk replacement derailleur cage + larger pulley wheels and combine any of these.
    • Bonus: I can embrace my inner European by getting outrageous colour combinations. I'm thinking silver cage, blue pulley wheels and a golden chain.
  5. Push my luck by keeping the 48 in front, but stealing a 26T from another bike in combination with a longer cage + 11-36T cassette for about €200 (604% range, 47T capacity)
    • The Ultegra front derailleur is rated for a 16T difference and is already pushing 20T but... from a previous post it looks like there is room to push that to 22T.
    • Upside of this one over the other options would be the much smaller steps between gears on the high end.
  6. Try any of the above by replacing the rear derailleur with a (slightly ugly IMHO) Shimano SLX (RD-M7120-SGS) 2x12 model that already has 45T capacity + 11-42 cassette.

So in visual terms:

#1) Lowering the low a bit

#2) Droppin' it down

#3) Pie plates in the back, tea cups up front

#5) Pushing that luck

#6 It might be ugly, but it does get you up mountains

Something to ponder as I make plans for the summer and start budgeting.

In the meantime, some shiny silver bits that inspired this train of thought.

Last edited by JaccoW; 02-14-24 at 06:46 PM.