View Single Post
Old 02-15-24, 08:56 AM
Tundra_Man 
The Fat Guy In The Back

Bikes: '81 Panasonic Sport, '02 Giant Boulder SE, '08 Felt S32, '10 Diamondback Insight RS, '10 Windsor Clockwork, '15 Kestrel Evoke 3.0, '19 Salsa Mukluk

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 117 Posts
Consecutive bicycle work commute number 1833:

Winter has returned, at least for a couple of days. I woke up to a 12ºF air temp, and 1" of fresh snow on the ground. The last three weeks of temps above 25ºF and no snow had really spoiled me.

I spent some time clearing the snow from my driveway so it didn't become a frozen mess after the cars drive across it a few times. Then I opted to take the fat bike to work, which is really, really slow.

One of the nice things about my job is flexibility. I was scheduled to work from our company office today, which is 8 miles from my house. I didn't have anything specific going on there that I needed to be physically present for, I just try to show up once or twice a week so my co-workers don't forget what I look like. Because of the time spent cleaning the driveway, and the reduced speed of the fat bike, I opted to cut my commute in half by riding to a client location instead. Maybe I'll go to the office tomorrow if I don't have to ride the fat bike again.

Because the temp was 34ºF when the snow started, the bottom layer of the snow was pretty slick. It probably would have been better to ride my winter bike with carbide studded tires instead of the fat bike, but that bike is still on the repair stand.

My new (correct size) wheel arrived yesterday. Last night I had about 45 minutes to work on that bike, so I got the tire and freewheel mounted on the wheel, then mounted the wheel on the bike. I removed the old derailleur, and attached the new derailleur in its place. Then I ran out of time. I still need to size and install the new chain, and hook up the derailleur cable and adjust it. I also noticed that only one side of the front v-brake is moving when I squeeze the lever. The other one is seized up from corrosion. So I need to disassemble and clean that up as well.