View Single Post
Old 02-21-24, 01:37 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 131 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4864 Post(s)
Liked 4,012 Times in 2,608 Posts
Don't overthink this. (Thanks, FB!) Izumi chains are better than SRAM chains. (I haven't used but one SRAM chain but several posters here have confirmed my opinion. The Izumi chains are, quite simply, excellent chains. By the color you want and don't mind paying for.

SRAM 8 and 9-speed chains work well for me. But single or fixed? No. SRAM has in its mindset, excellent shifting. Izumi's mindset is the velodrome where every shift is a multi-rider crash. Izumi chains are what you want between the feet of that gorilla in front of you. Why not put it on your bike also?

Edit: SRAM single speed chains are quiet. Good shifting chains are quiet. Izumis, with their squarer, less polished and finessed plates - not so quiet. They really don't want to shift. And that I like! I can run them in confidence with more chain slack, on rougher roads and with lower quality cranksets that are not as "round". (That cause the chain to tighten and loosen as you pedal. So Izumis allow more options for cranksets while never having the chain go tight. Also allow faster wheelflips and less attention to proper chain slack when doing flips on the road and your buddies are riding away.

Last edited by 79pmooney; 02-21-24 at 01:46 PM.