View Single Post
Old 02-23-24, 09:00 PM
plumberroy

Bikes: Surly long haul trucker, Surly steamroller,Huffy Catalina, Univega Alpina 501. Gravity deadeye monster, Raliegh sport , Electra loft 1

Liked 320 Times in 186 Posts
Originally Posted by base2
Here is a link to my cycling friends GoFundMe page. Why not donate a couple o' bucks to help? https://www.gofundme.com/f/keris-ride-to-recovery

I'm sure she would appreciate it.

Keri is someone I know and have ridden many thousands of miles with. If ever this were to happen to someone, it would be her by sheer volume of miles ridden. She rides hundreds of miles per week, rain or shine, all weather and most of them in the gravel and forest roads. She is an unstoppable dynamo.

She was also in the middle of the pack. 2 riders ahead, 2 riders behind. So they were stalked and hunted. The attack itself lasted about 15 minutes and severed some nerves in her face. Not good.

Roughstuff plumberroy Breadfan Knock off the "personal protection" bull. A gun makes you feel better, it does not prevent Cougar attacks; Of which there have been only 20 in a hundred years. It's a ridiculous non-solution to a non-problem the odds of which are astronomicaly rare. Nor would it be practical as a means of defense when ambushed while actively riding a bicycle. The odds of Keri being shot by a well meaning (& somehow magically prepared bystander with ninja like reflexes) instead of the cougar is a much more likely outcome that I think nobody would prefer. As good as it feels to set yourself apart with "what about ism," the mechanics of a situation IRL just doesn't pencil out. Furthermore, gun discussion of any form is specifically forbidden by forum rules. Take discussion along those lines elsewhere.

Fwiw, The cougar was dealt with by person's present & pinned down under someone's bike until actual help arrived. The lesson here is: Ride with friends.
I will see about donating to your friend I will be praying for her too. And yes cougar attack are rare . Feral dogs are way more of a problem. The people there fought back and she is alive so it's a win but if they were holding that cat down with a bicycle even a pocket knife would have took the fight out of it. I have carried for forty years the one time I had to draw I kept a lady from being assaulted so it was worth carrying. If you know the people who were with her tell them well done, we not agree on things but they got her out alive a lot of people would have run