View Single Post
Old 02-24-24, 08:16 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 796 Post(s)
Liked 1,861 Times in 1,059 Posts
So I got a late start this morning as I worked until 3 am.... So as I was rolling along, the wind was not terrible, between 5 and 10 out of the NW but expected to pick up as the day went on. Two dudes roll up on me, brothers, and we end up becoming a 3 person group ride and are cruising along at 27 to 30. I had plans to turn back at one point when I was on my own, as I did not want to be pummeled by the wind by myself heading back. They were like, no man, we can deal with the wind as a group, so I kept heading south an additional 25 miles. At the new turn point, these two decided to bail, one of the guys lives in the area. His wife is at the brother's house, up my way, for a baby shower, so they are just going to drive back later.

I now have to battle 20 to 25 mph headwinds for 40 miles. I ask them to watch my bike as I go into the store to buy a coke and some gummy bears as I know I will need some additional carbs. I averaged 13 to 15 and in some spots 12 mph when I was more exposed to the wind. Miserable ride back, but I blame myself know the winds were going to be heavy on the way back, and I automatically assumed these two were going to head north with me since they state; "we can deal with the wind as a group". Painful lesson never to trust anyone riding a 14K aero bike that is afraid of some wind.

All totaled, 92 miles, 440 ft of bridge loops before the meet up. Completely burned up tonight.