Old 02-25-24, 11:28 AM
aliasfox

Bikes: Lynskey R270 Disc, Bianchi Vigorelli

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 300 Post(s)
Liked 158 Times in 133 Posts
Originally Posted by seypat
The scale of improvements/changes are perceived differently by different people. The bicycle used by riders to go off the pavement has evolved dramatically. But on the road side, mostly refinements. Derailleurs/multiple gears was a big development. Shifters moved around and eventually settled on the handlebars as the preferred choice. Braking is going from rim based to discs. Frame/ components materials have changed/evolved. Along the way, with each development, the bike has got more gears, or less gears. With each development, the bike has become lighter, or heavier, more aero, or less aero. It's become more user friendly, or less depending on who's talking about it. By and large, more or less, it's the same "safety bike" that replaced the Penny Farthing. The one thing that hasn't changed at all, at least on BF, is people arguing/discussing every possible aspect about it. Time marches on.

Edit: I forgot about bikes that aren't human powered or assist the user. Even those aren't new. They've been around for generations. They just went by different names like mopeds.
No arguments about scale of improvements from me, bikes from before the early 90s are simply before my time, and i’m just not aware of what happened.

And yes, a lot of trends do swing back and forth, for ‘reasons.’ Just along for the ride…