View Single Post
Old 02-25-24, 07:29 PM
Sierra_rider

Bikes: Santa Cruz Blur 4 TR, Canyon Endurace cf sl, Canyon Ultimate cf slx, Canyon Strive enduro, Canyon Grizl sl8

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 244 Post(s)
Liked 1,045 Times in 402 Posts
Originally Posted by biker128pedal
Yesterday who is my birthday. So I treated myself to Fenix 7 Pro smarty watch to augment my Edge 1030. Road 16 miles of the Cap Trail to play with it. With two devices looks like I road twice.

Then today after the morning hike with the dog took a 21 mile ride before dinner. Felt good until the about a half mile from home. Right foot came unclipped and hit the ground at about 23 mph from worn out cleat. It had popped out before. Scratched bezel ring on day old watch. A little nick on the edge of the screen. Screen protector arrived while I was out. I needed a bezel ring protector. One on the way.

Second lesson. Don’t wear wedding ring. I have a gash in the finger. Bandaged but will need to cut off ring to help it heal. Oh annual doctors checkup tomorrow. So get to explain the fall and get told at 63 to slow down. May get a stitch or two in the finger.

Oh liking the watch. HRM is spot on compared to Bontrager chest strap. More options than my Edge 1030. Will come in handy when I forget the edge or ride light.
Sucks about your crash, sounds like nothing too long-term injurywise, so that's good.

I'm a data junkie, so I appreciate the smart watch. Mine's only the Instinct 2 solar(bought it off a friend who upgraded to the Fenix 7,) but I really appreciate the heart rate variability metric as well as just always having heart rate. It's not fool proof, but I sometimes adjust/modify my rides based on what my overnight HRV value was. It's really interesting to see how, after a hard ride, my HRV will be utter rubbish. Any sort of alcohol within a few hours of going to bed has the same effect on HRV.

I still run the HR strap and Garmin head unit on most of my rides, but occasionally just use the watch if I'm just going for a couple miles to visit a neighbor.
Likes For Sierra_rider: