Thread: Dutch Bicycles
View Single Post
Old 02-27-24, 05:47 PM
ridelikeaturtle

Bikes: Bianchi Ti Megatube; Colnago Competition; Planet-X EC-130E; Klein Pulse; Amp Research B4; Litespeed Catalyst; Trek Y11

Liked 482 Times in 261 Posts

This bike was "free" in the local buy&sell, a nice young German couple were emigrating and couldn't get rid of it - it was badly neglected, rusty with cobwebs, nothing worked but nothing was frozen in place, so I stripped it down and rebuilt it all, even completely overhauling the Sachs Torpedo 3-speed rear integrated hub.

I really like it, but as per usual I'm maybe the only person who sees the value in it. The bike is just slightly too small for me, but I'm 185cm so it's slightly too big for most cyclists in Ireland.

What are people's thoughts on converting it to an e-bike, using a front wheel kit? The installation of it would be easy, a thumb throttle on a front wheel motor, the battery on the rear rack and controller on the seat tube. Has anyone here done this? What's it like to use? Probably a lot easier, as it's so heavy that getting going is the hard part; once moving the bike is lovely.

But would I be ruining it by doing this? If it's not valued anyway, what's the harm (other than I'm just paying for the experience of the conversion, and will never get that money back).
Likes For ridelikeaturtle: