View Single Post
Old 02-29-24, 01:50 AM
VintageRide

Bikes: 1970 Gitane TDF; 1985 Norco Magnum GT ; 2013 Rawland Stag ; 1981 Fuji 650b; Early '80's Kuwahara Cascade

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 156 Times in 55 Posts
Upgrading older Kona hardtail

I picked up a 2004 Kona Caldera in very nice condition for 300.00, probably as much as one would be worth at best and even though the Deore rear shifter was not working properly and the Hayes Nine brakes had been unused for 5 years due to storage and basically needing an overhaul I decided to change out a few components. The Tioga knobby tires will be replaced with Schwalbe Billy Bonkers Performance as well as XT front derailleurs and shifters. I did not care for the early Hollow tech crankset so went with XT Hollow tech II.

The brakes will be Shimano M 6120 with 180 mm rotors in place of the 160mm. Due to older age I ordered a shorter 50mm riser stem along with a 115mm extension much as I would prefer a cleaner look. Hopefully once the bike is together it will be a nice rider for light trails and gravel. Might look into a good used air shock instead of the stock Manitou spring fork unless it works well enough.

I know many have put higher end components on a good basic frame as parts wear or they want better performance or to lighten the bike. I just like quality even though I will be easily paying more than I did for the bike. Nothing new there!

The Kona as purchased:

Likes For VintageRide: