Old 02-29-24, 05:28 AM
Jughed

Bikes: Lemond Zurich/Trek ALR/Giant TCX/Sette CX1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 612 Post(s)
Liked 893 Times in 448 Posts
Originally Posted by Shredhead757
Hi there, I am a Type 2 Diabetic, managing a fairly serious medical condition by exercise and diet (Keto and intermittent fasting alone). In conjunction with a conversation with my doctor, I decide to stop taking all diabetes medication. I stopped taking meds, once my diet plus medication was actually pushing me into Hypoglycemia. I've been on this drug-free regime now for some 6 weeks now, and so far, it's working well for me. I have way better Glycemic control than I ever had on the various failed diabetes drug regimes I have been on. I wear a Freestyle Fibre 2 sensor, which gives me live blood sugar data, and also gives alarms if I am heading towards a hypoglycemic event. I do however find my energy levels low, during exercise, In day to day life I feel very well, energy levels good and cognitively alert. I would say that my FTP has taken at least a 25% hit. I can still sprint, for very short bursts. I had considered, during longer rides, using Keto compatible snacks such as mixed nuts (almonds, pecans, walnuts, hazelnuts, etc) as fuel. I am considering that I may be able to use just my admittedly excess body fat, as my fuel source on these longer rides? Your thoughts please and your own Keto cycling experiences would be gratefully heard. My first sportive for this year, 2024, is the New Forest Classic, in April, with easy to moderate hills, and I will only be doing the 100K route. 7 Years ago I successfully managed my diabetes for some 5 years on a Keto / Caveman style diet, but I would disregard the diet during events, reverting back to complex and simple carbs during a ride. However, my diabetes severity and insulin resistance has increased with age, so I am loathe to mess with my body and poison it with carbs just for the sake of riding in sportives and socials, etc. I really don't want to fall off the Keto wagon and end up going back to a life of suffering carb cravings and uncontrolled diabetes again. I think one of the best things about on Keto is not being hungry all the time. Have you any experience of conducting longer rides on Keto only? Would I just keep myself topped up on fluids during the ride, and take rest stops, when blood sugars drop too low, to allow my body's Ketosis to catch-up and carry on converting energy from fat? Arguably, as a type 2 diabetic, my conversion of energy from glucose will always be relatively poor, compared to a non-diabetic, due to high insulin resistance.

IMO You cannot reverse type 2 diabetes. I don't care what Dr Michael Mosely says! You can however reverse the symptoms of type 2 diabetes and have your blood sugars in the normal band, thereby reducing the risk of heart attack, stroke, blindness, bits falling off you, and all the other nastiness associated with T2 diabetes. I have faced the fact that I will also be prone to adverse effects from a complex carb diet. This is from personal experience. I now consider carbs to be toxic to my body and the way it works (or doesn't), I reduce my carb input as much as I reasonably can.
T2, low carb, no meds here - at it for 5 years now.

This regimen has put the T2 into complete remission, good luck on your journey and stick with it!!!

You can reverse T2 - absolutely. I've done it via very hard work and strict diet. I can now eat carbs without any issues. BUT - BUT BUT BUT - you can absolutely put it back into a forward gear and end up right where you started. The key words are reverse vs cure. You can't cure it - but you can put it into remission or "reverse". And no - not everyone can do it.

As for energy on low carb:
-It took me the better part of a year to get comfortable riding on a low carb/keto diet. It took about that long for my body to become fully fat adapted and efficient.
-I had many failures on the bike in that time period.
-Once fat adapted, low intensity rides are fueled by the stored fat in the body. You can seemingly ride forever at low intensity levels.
-High intensity levels require carb supplements. I find 30-40 grams per hour cover my needs.

-High intensity training sessions - 3x10 or 2x20 FTP intervals, 4x3 VO2 max internals - you need carbs. I will add a few hundred carbs the on the days of my high intensity workouts.

Stick with it - its a long road... but it can pay off in the end.

My choices were a life of insulin, finger pricks, oral meds and the typical poor outcome - or low carb and hard work. The choice was easy - but not easy to execute.
Likes For Jughed: