Old 02-29-24, 10:58 AM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4309 Post(s)
Liked 1,386 Times in 966 Posts
Originally Posted by Smaug1
Steel Gravel Bike: I have a cyclist buddy at work who is telling me gravel bikes are the dog's danglies and I should definitely have one in my fleet. He travels quite a bit to do gravel races. It sounds like fun and I hear they also make great commuters. (not that I need another commuter) The bigger tires would make it more comfortable to ride on the bad roads around here too. I just LOVE the ride on my old steel Schwinn, so that's why I'm thinking of steel. (CF and Ti are too expensive, as I'm thinking of a max. $2500 budget)
So, your max budget is $2500.

Gravel eBike: This would give all the advantages of the gravel bike at the expense of some weight
Is there a gravel ebike less than $2500?

Another Folding eBike: This would be a "spare" to go with the Lectric XP Lite I already have. Then, when I go on vacation or a weekend mini-break with my daughter or wife, we could bring a 2nd folding eBike and have a lot more fun. My wife is a super-weak rider and if she's not on an eBike, she goes 6 mph, which drives me nuts. My daughter is in good shape, but doesn't have the legs yet, as she's 12 and her swimming muscles aren't translating. I bought her a road bike last year and she's not usually keen to ride it with me; she much prefers the XP Lite folding eBike.
This is confusing: there's no way for people to figure out what you really are looking for here. So, either you are just bringing the "XP Lite" (one bike) or you are bringing two bikes (the "XP Lite" and something else) or you are talking about needing three bikes. If you are bringing two bikes, what other bike are you bringing and how are you carrying two bikes?

Current bike fleet:
- Juiced HyperScrambler 2 - eMoped
- Aventon Level.2 - my commuter eBike
- Lectric XP Lite - "lightweight" (46 lbs.) folding eBike; daughter's/loaner/travel eBike
- Electra Townie GO! 7D - wife's bike/eBike
- Old Trek Mountain bike - daughter's bike
- Old Trek road bike - daughter's road bike. I bought it for her last year. She's only used it once so far, and always prefers to ride the XP Lite. Not sure this is going to take. It has a very small frame, (46 cm?) so if she isn't going to ride this now, it doesn't make sense to keep it.
- Trek Verve 3 hybrid/comfort bike - selling tonight; was thinking of replacing it with a gravel bike. I haven't been riding it since I got the Level.2.
- 1972 Schwinn Varsity - Nostalgic bike. I love the (steel) ride on this. Not sure I'll keep it long-term.
Most of this is bizarrely irrelevant.

===================================

In any case, asking random people to help you choose between a gravel bike and a foldable ebike makes no sense at all.

Last edited by njkayaker; 02-29-24 at 11:15 AM.