View Single Post
Old 02-29-24, 06:59 PM
jonwvara 

Bikes: 1966 Dawes Double Blue, 1976 Raleigh Gran Sport, 1975 Raleigh Sprite 27, 1980 Univega Viva Sport, 1971 Gitane Tour de France, 1984 Lotus Classique, 1976 Motobecane Grand Record

Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 766 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 353 Posts
Originally Posted by nlerner
I work on a college campus in Boston and often find myself biking to nearby colleges for various events, meetings, etc. Most of what I see locked to bike racks are crappy mountain bikes or cheap alu Treks sold as townie cruisers. Once in a while, I see something interesting. Tonight that was a very tall Centurion:

What you have seen at the bike rack?
Whenever I see a huge frame like that, I wonder whether the rider is really tall, or an average-sized person who obtained it as a cheap or free bike, and doesn't realize that frames have "sizes."

Stuff like that happens. A friend of mine, many years ago, bought a nearly-new, middle-of-the-lineup Sekine--the tires still had whiskers on them--very cheaply from a work acquaintance who complained that the bike just didn't fit her. My friend visually compared the bike to the seller as they talked and thought that they looked like a pretty good match. Eventually, though, it became clear that the real issue was that the seller didn't realize that the seatpost could be adjusted up and down. My friend briefly considered enlightening her, but instead just paid for the bike and scrammed.

"Progress might have been all right once, but it has gone on too long."
--Ogden Nash
Likes For jonwvara: