View Single Post
Old 02-29-24, 11:19 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 1,252 Times in 795 Posts
Originally Posted by bikenoobDomane3
dedhed, correct, I won't use any brake cleaner. I have rubbing alcohol and some Tri-Flow that I just bought, since I can't find any T9.
FBinNY, that's a good idea and I have been working on that. I replaced the derailleur hanger myself, and I've learned to adjust both front/back derailleurs. I know how to put on bar tape! (haha). Replacing cables is something I should learn, so next time I can do them myself. I've watched a few videos on that process, doesn't seem to be all that hard. Putting a location in my profile is also a good idea, I'll do that.

So, I just took the hood off one of the shifters, and I see no way to clean it. Do I have to fully remove the shifters to clean them, as was mentioned before? I've watched several videos where they are able to clean shifters while on the bike, just by removing the hoods, but looks like that isn't happening with my model of shifter. I can't find a single video that actually shows/talks about cleaning/flushing the Ultegra 6800 shifters; or any that show how to remove the covers and such. I'll admit that I'm a bit afraid of ruining or breaking something.

EDIT: I figured it out. I removed the screw from the bottom cover, and that allowed me to remove the other cover that was hiding the internals. I'm going to clean it up and dry, lube, and see how it goes after that!
Did you check the alignment of the new derailleur hanger with an alignment tool? New ones often (usually?) need tweaking.
Likes For Camilo: