Old 03-02-24, 06:24 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 561 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22765 Post(s)
Liked 9,164 Times in 4,250 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
One experienced fitter I know suggests not compensating (at least initially) for saddle height. So you get an equal reduction in both leg extension and hip compression. From there you can decide for yourself how to split the reduced motion.

There are also less downsides from running your saddle too low vs too high. I have experimented with that myself and was surprised how low I could drop my saddle without causing any issues. Raising it on the other hand even slightly above a certain point causes problems with saddle comfort and the back of my knees. So I settled on a saddle height a good 5-10 mm below what I could still comfortably pedal. Power was totally unaffected by running that much lower, even on long seated climbs.
Interesting. Assuming saddle height is based on full leg extension, one should adjust this for cranks. Ditto saddle fore/aft, and hence stem length, if you want to keep the same “fit” with shorter cranks.

I realize this is not a rigid geometry issue, but hypothetically if you want same positions you would need to adjust all three of these.