Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1355 Post(s)
Liked 2,506 Times in 1,472 Posts
Originally Posted by MoAlpha
In AF the ventricle keeps contracting, otherwise there would be cardiac arrest and death. However, it is no longer under the control of the of the sinus node and is driven by ectopic activity from elsewhere in the atrium or associated structures.. The resulting ventricular rate is usually high, but can be “normal” or even slow. An abnormally high ventricular rate prevents the ventricle from filling completely and reduces cardiac output, sometimes drastically. That’s why people experiencing pathological tachycardia feel faint or collapse, or die.

The big danger in AF, however, is not from tachycardia, but from clot forming in the non-contracting atrium and causing strokes, etc.
My mom has a-fib and takes Eliquis to prevent the blood clots. I train with another 70+ guy at the track who has a-fib. He takes drugs for the condition but races. He rode team pursuit with me a couple of years ago when Worlds was in LA.

What I do is monitor symptoms and if I would get any of the symptoms that are indicative of a heart problem, I would go to the emergency room and get checked out.