Old 03-04-24, 10:08 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Liked 5,967 Times in 3,215 Posts
Originally Posted by Shredhead757
My main concern is that because of the ineffectiveness of the conversion of sugars into the blood cells, due to insulin resistance, will there still be excess sugars building up in the bloodstream, which the the body will be unable to covert and also sugars getting stored in the liver for later? I guess there’s only one way to find out. I know that I struggle (unsuccessfully) to keep my blood sugars in spec on my smart trainer if I am using carbs as fuel, no matter how hard I ride. Admittedly I do not do 100 miles plus events on my smart trainer, just too boring and to painful on the backside. In real life you are in and out of the saddle all the time.
You might consider working with an internist (preferably an endocrinologist) who understands athletes and/or a sports nutritionist who's comfortable with T2DM and CGM data. Given the current state of military medicine, I realize this may impossible. It was bad enough back when we had it.

Here's my partially informed take: Glucose spikes (up to, say, 200) immediately after consuming carbs are okay. However, glucose should go down rapidly during exercise. If you're getting lasting high levels, remember glucose stuck in the circulation isn't fueling anything, so you should be able to back off on the carbs without hurting performance.

Jughed here seems to have the carb management thing down, at least for themself.