Old 03-05-24, 03:54 PM
mev
bicycle tourist

Bikes: Trek 520, Lightfoot Ranger, Trek 4500

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked 268 Times in 181 Posts
I see ultra-endurance racing as a different preference. Not mine but I am also not bothered with portrayals of others doing it.

In a strange way, similar to how I see some people doing long bike rides to raise money for charity. No problem with them doing this. I am amused when this leads some to automatically ask me as a cross-country cycle tourist "what are you raising money for?". The answer is "nothing, this is my vacation and I enjoy doing this". But that doesn't have me begrudge them any more than I would for someone whose preference is an ultra-endurance race effort.

I have done some supported rides that attracted some also ultra-racers. One was a supported "Gater Hell Week" series in Florida over Christmas/New Years. It was 820 miles in 8 days but a few of the riders were also using the ride as winter training for RAAM. One of those ended up being the fastest female rider a few years later and another started but missed a cutoff along the way. I also know some who raced initially but then moved to support crew.

The TDA ride across Africa had a milder version of this. Originally started as a race across Africa, it still had a stage race option when I rode in 2013. We had the option of using a timer to record start/stop times and the fastest for each stage/segment/overall were recognized. I picked the race option not because I expected to win anything but more because it was useful to keep things recorded. I finished as the slowest male rider in the overall race. The first TDA Silk Route Ride from Istanbul to Beijing in 2007 started with a race component. I joined them for the last 2500km in China and by then the participants had mutually agreed to suspend any notion of racing. A year or two after I cycled TDA Africa in 2013, the race portion of the ride also stopped and now it is all "expedition" instead.

At least as intense my year, and likely still was instead a notion of riding E-F-I (every f... inch). This can be different for a supported ride than a self-supported ride because there is less possibility of taking a rest day for weather, illness, bike troubles, etc. Also less possibility for making a shorter day for those reasons. It becomes a source of pride to have weathered through those things - at least amongst many of the type-A riders attracted to such a supported ride. What seemed to happen for many is eventually some circumstance caught up and someone couldn't ride everything (for me the first one was heat exhaustion in Sudan with temperatures well over 40C). After such an incident, people often reflected on why they were on the ride in the first place and took a more reasonable approach on deciding when to ride.

So having either an ultra-endurance component or even an intense ride with EFI can lead people to do foolish and even unsafe things - particularly among the more extreme competitors. The unsafe aspects needs caution but people pushing themselves to ultra unpleasantness can be their choice that I don't need to follow. When glorification of this effort leads to some assuming this is also what I must be doing - is more amusing than annoying to me.