Old 03-05-24, 04:39 PM
bulgie 
blahblahblah chrome moly

Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1208 Post(s)
Liked 2,661 Times in 1,108 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen
It's going to be difficult to flow silver into there because you can't clean it properly. I have had luck with brass and dirty surfaces, but that takes a real torch. The problem with not having any experience is that you don't know if the filler has flowed into the joint. I wouldn't bother.
Yes, some DIY-ers have "the right stuff" to figure this out on their own, but most don't. I wouldn't recommend trying it yourself unless you have a mentor to show you some stuff first, and/or inspect it after it's done. Torch safety, personal protective gear etc, how hot is hot enough, these are things an experienced person can show you in a half-hour or less, versus bashing your head against a wall of ignorance. Again, apologies if you're one of those who can just figure this stuff out for themselves (with Youtube), but be honest with yourself. Those people are rare; most who think they're "all that" really aren't.

If you're in Seattle you can swing by my place for a short introductory lesson and maybe just watch me braze your dropout.

BTW, I know I sound like a skipping record, but people asking for this type of advice really should include their town and what country they're in. Without that, we can't advise you on who to go to that's near you.