Old 03-07-24, 07:09 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18596 Post(s)
Liked 16,097 Times in 7,559 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
The last time I was bicycling in Philadelphia (2017) I remembered that I always have treated all stop signs and traffic lights as yield signs since the late 50's and proceeded safely after assuring myself that the intersection was clear of traffic and the obvious presence of an LEO, and always without incident. Note: this bicycling technique also has worked for me everywhere else I have bicycled in the U.S. in the past 70 years.
A couple of years ago, the city announced that it would no longer be stopping motorists for minor traffic violations like not stopping for stop signs. I figure I am safe from a ticket while riding a bike. I tend to rigidly follow he rules when I am touring elsewhere in order to be a good "representative" and to avoid hassle when I am on vacation touring. Just makes sense to me. The guy who started the now-defunct Pedal PA always made sure to tell participants to be good "neighbors" by not doing things like blocking sidewalks and leaning bikes up against store windows during stops and following traffic laws in towns. And don't photograph apparent Amish without asking permission first. Things like that. Our ACA tour leader did the same before we set off across the country.