View Single Post
Old 03-07-24, 03:35 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Liked 4,331 Times in 2,788 Posts
[QUOTE=surak;23177690]I found this SlowTwitch article from 2023 between Dan Empfield and Josh Poertner on hookless safety to be quite illuminating, and it avoids the drama/emotions drummed up from the high profile blowouts in the news that spurred the current focus on hookless.

It's balanced in the sense that neither are arguing for a ban on hookless and agreed that it was the direction wheels were going to go, but they disagreed on how dangerous current hookless wheels were to use for road cycling. Two things Josh said jumped out to me: 1) no measurable performance benefit to hookless, and 2) an alarming rate of blowoffs in testing hookless rims vs. none with hooked.

[Josh Poertner] While I know that hookless really is generally robust in the larger tire sizes as your experience has shown, I will say that in the 100+ tires we've tested over the last few years on 40+ wheels, we've had 6 blowoffs in tire seating, 3 blowoffs below the 110% ISO test, and 1 blowoff of a wheel just leaning against a wall. Every single one of them was on a hookless rim and following ETRTO guidelines. Or stated from the other side, we've never had a hooked tubeless blow off, and that's from a larger sample size and includes combinations that violate ETRTO in the pursuit of performance gains.{/QUOTE]

Also Adam Hansen, CPA head, wrote in the comments of an Escape Collective article
Suggesting Thomas de Gendt isn't totally out of his head.