View Single Post
Old 03-08-24, 05:54 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2581 Post(s)
Liked 3,095 Times in 1,761 Posts
Originally Posted by Duragrouch
Yes, chain lube is a whole can'o'worms topic. Many possibilities. But not "original" WD-40 except in a pinch when nothing else is available. This is because it was designed as a Water Displacer (hence, the WD), for things like drying out wet spark plug wires and rust prevention. It's not designed as a lubricant. In fact, original formula WD-40 is absolutely prohibited on spherical-rod-ends/heim-joints on aircraft linkages, as it used to dry to a varnish, making the joints stick or seize up. I haven't seen that tendency on current formula, they may have modified it because so many people use it as lube. But there are signs in LBS (Local Bike Shop) repair areas, "WD-40 is not lube."
Originally Posted by Garthr
I take it that bikerbob38 is sincere in his interest about WD-40, and I'll give a sincere answer here from actually using it.

I read all the negatives of using it as a chain lube. So I decided to find out for myself. Basically I use it the same I ever did with say Prolink Gold, which wasn't particularly long lasting either. I had a gallon of the bulk WD-40 in the metal can that was around for use around out house, so I poured some in leftover drop bottle. I started with a new chain, a SRAM PC-850. Those are coated in a stick substance of which I wipe with a rag with some mineral spirits initially, just to reduce dirt build up on the outside, wiping the chain with a dry rag about every second or third ride. I get about 250-300 miles from the factory "stuff".

When I start wet lubing, I have a piece of cardboard I set between the chain and wheel for any splatter, then slowly rotate the chain backwards and let the lube drip until it's fairly wet, and I have a old rag underneath the chain for any drips, there should be very little if any dripping, to let you know how much I apply. I wear nitrile gloves and run my fingers underneath to see if it's more clear than dark, then wipe off the excess at that time, spinning backwards, then a few quick spins forward with the wheel off the ground. I also wipe the cogs every other ride. I get on average 2 rides of 25-30 miles or so, with a quick wipe in between. The key here is to never let the chain get very dirty, keep up the cycle of wipe, lube and wipe. I've been doing this for two bikes now, for three years. I get just as good mileage out of my chains as with any other lube I've used. Prolink, RR Gold, Squirt, Chain-L and WL Clean ride mostly. I find the Prolink was be a more effective solvent than WD-40 in that regard. While the WD-40 is still a wet lube, it can splatter if applied and not wiped down. I do not take the chain off to clean it for it's duration, just as I didn't with Prolink gold.

I'll continue to do this until/unless I get a hankering to try something else, but for now it suits my usage as well as any other lube I've used. Every lube has it's plus and minuses, and that's about all of that.
Since he's actually lubricated his chains with WD-40 for some years, after having used a number of highly respected specific chain lube products, Garthr's post should serve as a sufficient counter to any and all anti-WD-40 chain lube posts (including some I've made in the past). Should, but won't.
Likes For Trakhak: