Old 03-08-24, 11:49 PM
Duragrouch

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 923 Post(s)
Liked 495 Times in 398 Posts
Originally Posted by smd4
Yeah, completely how I wouldn’t do it. Did you ever wipe off the oil you applied?
No, but no need. One drop penetrates the rollers and capillary action holds it in place. I get no formation of oil drops on the bottom. Now, this is dependent on my lube-drop size. I use a covid test dropper container, it dispenses a perfect drop size with this lube. (Unfortunately, it also seems to slowly degrade the semi-flexible plastic, but it lasted over two years before cracking.) As long as the lube stays liquid, it all stays inside the rollers and between link plates, etc. Only when it turns to paste from metal particle saturation, does it get squeezed out, the perfect sign for me to clean and relube. I'm sure it wouldn't hurt to clean and relube the chain before that. I just figure (and I could be wrong), as long as the lube is liquid, the metal particles tend to get pushed out of the way at metal-to-metal contact, they can move, or at least, there's less metal particle content, that part is for sure. It's not a perfect system, but OK until I have a way to quantify results easy, like if I was doing a long tour.