Old 03-09-24, 10:57 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4001 Post(s)
Liked 7,490 Times in 3,014 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveSSS
This article has the best info I've read. I will continue to use 28mm tires on my BTLOS hookless 25mm IW rims. I've tested setups to 85 psi with no blow offs. I have used early model Michelin tubeless that were not approved for hookless for this reason - they suffer from bead stretch after 6-9 months of use. If deflated to add sealant, the beads dropped off the shelf and couldn't be reinflated with valve core in place. In contrast, Pirelli P-Zero TLR tires remain tight after more than a year of service. I briefly installed an old P-Zero with a tube and had a hard time getting the beads off the shelf when I took it off.

https://www.cyclingnews.com/features...t-your-safety/

For heavy riders who can't fit 32-35mm tires, it's probably best to stick with hooked, so you won't be buying Zipp or Enve wheels. Comparing a 31mm external width BTLOS rim to a hooked version of the same rim, the Zipp pressure calculator recommends about 8 psi higher pressure with the resulting 22mm IW, instead of 25mm. At least the pressure recommendation is well under what's allowed for a hooked installation.​​​​​
This seems like a good time to revisit Trakhak's earlier question. BTLOS wheels are available in both hooked and hookless, with the two version weighing the same and costing the same. If the hooked version gives you more flexibility with tire pressure (and therefore usable tire widths), what is the advantage of using the hookless version?
Likes For tomato coupe: