Old 03-10-24, 05:31 AM
Racing Dan

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1336 Post(s)
Liked 321 Times in 218 Posts
Originally Posted by McFlyRides
This is why they recommend starting with new chains, unless the chain is pricey enough to make the effort worthwhile.

I just started waxing, and my used xc chain was an xx1 that I didn’t want to throw away. Luckily I kept that chain pretty clean anyways. It took several mineral spirit baths but eventually the stuff runs clear in the container. When the mineral spirits run clear, I follow with a few passes of denatured alcohol.

My old greasy road chain that I can replace for 30 bucks? I’m not spending the time on that one.

I wonder about taking it to a car wash and using a high pressure water spray?
You are wasting your time because you are all locked into the idea a chain must be 100.00% down to bare metal before it can be waxed. Its not true. Hot wax will dissolve and mix with the factory grease (that i likely itself a wax*) A new chain can be hot waxed straight from the package and a dirty one can be rinsed i one bath of turps. Its plenty good enough and repeated waxing will make any difference fade to noting.

The origin of these beliefs are obscure, and even the dude over at zero friction cycling mentions in passing, in a resent video, he couldn't prove a difference in wear between no cleaning a all vs expensive "top chain cleaners". Of course he stopped the test because he wanted to test if cleaners removed factory grease well, not if removing it made a difference in the first place ..

* Thats why some of it is so stubborn, just like wax and try watchin any number of videos showing fabrication of roller chains. Some show the lubrication process and suspiciously it looks just like hot immersion waxing.

Last edited by Racing Dan; 03-10-24 at 05:38 AM.
Likes For Racing Dan: