Old 03-10-24, 05:42 PM
13ollocks

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 197 Times in 116 Posts
Originally Posted by 50PlusCycling
Nowhere in any drivers handbook in America will it specifically say that where there is a bike lane, a bicycle can still ride on the street. And even if it did, you wouldn’t find a question in a written drivers license test. That being the case, drivers will of course think that a cyclist shouldn’t ride outside a bike lane.

When I got my Japan drivers license, that wasn’t the case. The handbook and test make it very clear that cyclists use the roadway, and make very clear the harsh consequences a driver will face if they hit a cyclist. This being the case, cycling on Japanese roadways is quite safe.

Japan’s approach to safety focuses on drivers, because no matter how safe you try to make a vehicle or a road, it will only be safe as the driver you operates a vehicle on that road. Therefore, Japan’s driver training for licenses and traffic laws are harsh, and the system works. Japan’s per capita traffic fatality rate is one-fifth America’s rate.
NC -“Bicyclists may, but are not required to, utilize any usable path for bicycles that has been provided adjacent to a roadway.”
this from “bikelaw.com”, an NC cycling law site. Needless to say I get the occasional jackass yelling at me if I’m not using the bike lane
Likes For 13ollocks: